Mods the good the bad and the amazingly fun in small doses

_Ifrit_

Miner
May 8, 2013
I would like to suggest something i think a lot of you may or may not agree with. I have thought about it for a long time now and i think im ready to present the idea to all of you.

Mods

Why? Because i believe the server needs something new and should add things to the game mojang may never add. In extreme moderation i believe that mods on this server would be a benefit to gameplay.

Pros (that i can think of off the top of my head)
-Mods open up amazing mechanics from elevators to new crafting recipes to backpacks most of which use existing blocks and materials in the game
- New and fun mobs can be added to the game adding more challenge than zombies and skeletons which could open up many fun opportunitys
-We could work as a community to make custom mods for the server to make us unique as a server
-We could showcase player made mods which in turn may attract new players to build upon our diminishing community.

the possibility with mods are really endless

Cons
- Players would have to download the mod and install it (we could add a detailed tutorial on how to do it)
- Some players may not like the change in pace
- Some mods may cause problems depending on how well they are made

And obviously other problems

Im not saying we should become a ftb server and add 1000 mods but i am saying we should add a few mods to make gameplay more enjoyable for everyone i honestly believe that a few mods on this server would benefit it immensely because lets all be realistic vanilla minecraft is just that vanilla lets add some more flavors to it. :)

_Ifrit_

Miner
May 8, 2013
maybe its time for a change? vanilla is great if you have a top vote slot on sites like mineplanet where everyone can see it but we dont have that i think we need to look into other options as far as adding more content for people to enjoy and to really make us stand out as a community

Foose

Miner
Oct 17, 2014
As of right now I don't think it would be the smartest move for us. We have moved twice and changed the gameplay to a more vanilla base. I personally feel that undergoing another change would only hurt us at this point. There was some discussion among players about wanting a creative server back. I do agree that some variety would be nice, just on another server within MMC. The biggest problem we have at the moment is that we have a small player base. If we can sustain a bigger player base I would be all for opening up mini games and "Modded" minecraft or a test server with a variety of plugins. I know that not everyone likes vanilla but it is what we have and it's slowly but surely gaining players.

icecosmicuprise

Nation Builder
Donor Level 2
Jul 7, 2013
i have to agree with foose,and zach as of right now it wouldn't be the smartest move for us. are supposed to stay as close to vanilla as we can right now. mabye we can think about change sometime later on but for now i think we should stick with vanilla.

Legoguy

Miner
Jul 7, 2013
I wouldnt like mods. I dont even know how to download the new minecraft launcher till i watched a video XD

ynefpavlov

Town Designer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't want to confuse topics with each other now, but with mods the entire player-base has to download and install them. With plugins, this is not the case. I think the future lies in these awesome plugins like Brewery.

Also the mods create a wall for new players they should climb before being able to join..

TheWolfsHeart

Server Psychopath
Vet Mod
Donor Level 3
Dec 10, 2012
Okay, as many others have said, mods are a no go.
Let me give you an example of a GOOD mod layout.
  • Backpacks mod
  • Twilight Forest
  • Magical Crops
  • Thaumcraft
  • Blood Magic
  • Any form of ADVENTURE mod
  • Anything that adds it's own dimension without effecting the overworld's generation [Aether may be a good one too]
Things like these are great mods to have and good to go together simple for that feel of adventure. However, you deal with issues such as players need to install them. Not everyone wants to change over to a jetpack filled world or a flight-ridden world, etc.

I personally love mods. I'm a modded player from west-hell. But this also entails an issue of: Not everyone knows the mods. Someone may get frustrated that someone like me advances faster simply because I know the mod. Vanilla Minecraft is simple to learn, and easy to pick up. Mods add new complicates along with their advances to Minecraft.

If this was a side-server, I could see it being useful, but not all mods are updated to 1.8 just yet, and won't be for a while from what I understand. However, a 1.7.10 modded server would be easy enough to set up, and quite fun if you make it only adventure based mods. Nothing truly smashing to the way the game works like insdustrialcraft, etc. Just simple mods that you can work with.

I love the idea of a modded server, but we're not changing what we've already done. We've already got too much done on it once again, and resetting one more time would ruin the player-base because then it seems like a common thing. If anything, make it a separate server like the FTB server, a sister-server if you will. That, can work.

TL;DR - This current map stays, mods do not belong in it. Make another server with said mods you wish to use instead.

babygirl1275

New Miner
Nov 28, 2014
I agree with ice Foose and super we just went to vanilla we cant afford to go in a different mine craft at this point we will lose more plays then we will gain and we are trying to gain players and keep a good player base going before we add or take away stuff the way we are going seems to be going in the right direction plays love that they need to ride horses to get around and travel through the neither so I say keep it as it is

Tercept

Administrator
Adman
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
I will talk to fizz about opening a test modded server with select mods.

Last time we had a FTB server no players on it contributed donations over a period of 4 months. It also only average 5 players at peak times.

Mods that I would like to see:

Mo creatures
Backpacks
Biomes O Plenty

and some other more vanilla type mods that dont break the game.

I wouldnt want huge industrial mods added on, or over powered magic mods.

Reactions: Boosted_FG2

TheWolfsHeart

Server Psychopath
Vet Mod
Donor Level 3
Dec 10, 2012
I will talk to fizz about opening a test modded server with select mods.

Last time we had a FTB server no players on it contributed donations over a period of 4 months. It also only average 5 players at peak times.

Mo creatures
Backpacks
Biomes O Plenty

I wouldn't want huge industrial mods added on, or over powered magic mods.
Agreed. Also, Thaumcraft isn't OP. It's the addons that are :p Especially with the new updates to Thaumcraft adding Madness, etc.

If you'd like, I can help finding mods, etc. Remember Tercy...As I said, Modded player from west hell.

SuperZachlee3000

Town Designer
Dec 13, 2013
Also to add on my post people would have to download these mods and with our player base wouldn't want to.

sush1jed1

Culinarian Pyro
Dec 10, 2012
Oregon
Also to add on my post people would have to download these mods and with our player base wouldn't want to.
This appears to be a common theme among most "Anti-Mod" players.

Not sure if people are hindered by the thought of the old times of installing multiple mods and constructing the client themselves, or if it's the installation of anything at all.

It's come a long way since the old times. While using a launcher, all you do is select the pack, choose some client-side aesthetics/utilities, wait for it to set up, login and play.

What really hinder's most servers, especially ours, is the desire to pare down the modpacks and make them needlessly difficult to install.

Mo creatures
Backpacks
Biomes O Plenty

I wouldnt want huge industrial mods added on, or over powered magic mods.
Our last servers were a total flop, I'd be the first to admit that.

We only averaged a peak of 5 due to the whitelisting system, and there's not really any motivation to donate for perks on a modded server since everything is included in the experience the server. Players would gladly leave a server where they have to pay for the basics, normally included on other servers.

Going along with Wolf on this part, if we were to open a modded server leaning towards vanilla, additional world would make the experience richer (Atum, Erebus, Twilight forest).

And as of the newer updates to Blood magic and Thaumcraft, being OP is hard enough as it is.
Blood magic takes trillions of LP to get any single "OP" item.
Thaumcraft has it's warp system which gradually drives you insane, causing swarms of hallucinations, drawing the darkness and tainted to you, and eventually causing great harm to yourself and those around you, on the upside you can do some risky magic (Potentially destroying everything) and make a single component of a single item.

tl;dr Our past was a flop, we could have done better. Times have changed, progression has changed. While the server needs money, we shouldn't pin it to 5 players to just dump money over to host while we host our own servers to satisfy our own needs for a "Unrestricted access" server.

sush1jed1

Culinarian Pyro
Dec 10, 2012
Oregon
And as a follow up, if you want to stay vanilla, don't contemplate adding more plugins. While it may be fun, it seems to deter player who seem to cling to the server for a more "classic vanilla" feel.

TheWolfsHeart

Server Psychopath
Vet Mod
Donor Level 3
Dec 10, 2012
This appears to be a common theme among most "Anti-Mod" players.

Not sure if people are hindered by the thought of the old times of installing multiple mods and constructing the client themselves, or if it's the installation of anything at all.

It's come a long way since the old times. While using a launcher, all you do is select the pack, choose some client-side aesthetics/utilities, wait for it to set up, login and play.

What really hinder's most servers, especially ours, is the desire to pare down the modpacks and make them needlessly difficult to install.

Our last servers were a total flop, I'd be the first to admit that.

We only averaged a peak of 5 due to the whitelisting system, and there's not really any motivation to donate for perks on a modded server since everything is included in the experience the server. Players would gladly leave a server where they have to pay for the basics, normally included on other servers.

Going along with Wolf on this part, if we were to open a modded server leaning towards vanilla, additional world would make the experience richer (Atum, Erebus, Twilight forest).

And as of the newer updates to Blood magic and Thaumcraft, being OP is hard enough as it is.
Blood magic takes trillions of LP to get any single "OP" item.
Thaumcraft has it's warp system which gradually drives you insane, causing swarms of hallucinations, drawing the darkness and tainted to you, and eventually causing great harm to yourself and those around you, on the upside you can do some risky magic (Potentially destroying everything) and make a single component of a single item.

tl;dr Our past was a flop, we could have done better. Times have changed, progression has changed. While the server needs money, we shouldn't pin it to 5 players to just dump money over to host while we host our own servers to satisfy our own needs for a "Unrestricted access" server.
The only thing that makes Bloodmagic truly OP, is stuff like Soulshards. Otherwise...BIIIITCH of a time.

_Ifrit_

Miner
May 8, 2013
yah i just meant things that expand upon the game without breaking the game itself fun simple to use things.

searavin

Miner
May 1, 2014
Ooh, I love mods. I really can't live without them. I would love to see if there is a possibility of a modded server other than just vanilla minecraft.(Not that I don't like it, but it gets plain after awhile) Some mods I would suggest is morph mod, industrial craft, or Tinker's construct. :D:D:D

Xoloz

Builder
Donor Level 2
Apr 12, 2013
Irvine
In all honesty, I don't see another "vanilla-type" modded server being effective whatsoever. As it is, our current server on a good day will get 20ish players. Why diminish that by putting in another type of vanilla server, but with some mods?

I think it'd be much more effective to have a mini-games/"minecraft party" type of server, where it's filled with fun minigames that someone can just hop on the server, and enjoy a plethora of games being cycled, with no commitment needed. I think this would drive traffic much more, especially if word gets out about it. Every mini-games/"minecraft party" server I've been to always has people, whereas a lot of servers without it lacks.

Just my two cents here, but I think it makes MUCH more sense to have a mini-games/"minecraft party" server, as opposed to siphoning the limited play base we currently have from the current vanilla server with another vanilla server, but with mods.

C_Hawk14

Miner
Dec 11, 2012
I have to agree with @Xoloz here..
What you guys didn't think about is that the ones who DO want a server with mods and more plugins (I am in favor too) will move there and not play on the vanilla map. I think in time these people will return anyhow, because there is no interaction anymore with the other players. In the end you'd be having two servers with each 8 players or s or a dead modded server.

With a second server you could host mini-games and I think you guys could do way more stuff with !¡!QUESTS!¡! Like.. make a hub on the mini games server, with a huge ass portal to the vanilla server and several portals to mini-games. You'd be able to fly, but be caged in by glass, so you can't just fly anywhere you want (with a moderator-only door or smth).

If there are too many games available at the same time, you'll have 6 ppl for example who want to do smth and there are 2 or 3 games available. First they have to decide what to do.
If there are 3 games available, you could have a divide like 3,2,1. The 3 ppl choose 'WARZONE' (I want this back, lol) and the two ppl choose smth else, the one person is left alone and decides to join the 'WARZONE' too. (Not taking into account that there might be another game, like 'PROP HUNT', that they'd all want to play, but alas.. it's blocked).

Imagine there are 4 warzones available (we had like 8 before in 1.2.5?). Two ppl out of 4 want to fight in the 1st zone. The guys left who are left both want smth different, so they'll have to go together in one map and one isn't happy, or they both join the 1st map so there are more ppl (which is always nice), but they didn't want to play on this map. (Not taking into account that there could be a 4th map they would all prefer to play, same as before.. it's blocked)

If you'd cycle them, like Xoloz said.. YES you would force them to play certain games, but at least you won't have that many decision problems.

I hope most of you agree on this.

PS: QUESTS combined with MINI-GAMES :derp: