Major Server Upgrade Coming Soon!

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
One of the limiting factors we've always faced with our server is lack of real disk space. The server itself was pretty decent, but it had its limitations. Since we've been picking up again, and getting regular donations (Especially a huge thanks to those today who helped cover setup fees), I felt the need for more power! For the tech geeks out there, I'll end the post with a list of some specs.

One of the exciting things I wanted to do, that I think we hear the most complaints on (or close to the most), is the map borders. We all know that it IS a large map, but some times, its hard to find that perfect building spot, or you cant find the biome you're looking for. Shortly after we update, or more specifically, after 1.8 drops, we will remove map borders from survival.

With that, I will be adding some button warps to take you out to 10k in either N,E,S,W to avoid the pain of the huge hike to get there. I dont want to encourage you to just run forever as this would be pointless in multiplayer and you likely would never see another human being (unless of course this is your goal).

Along with almost adding 20x drive capacity, the servers memory is doubling, the clock speed goes up, and we will have a current gen processor! Ohh, we will also have serious protection against DDoS, so those little geeks that we ban, we shouldnt have to worry much about them anymore. I still wouldnt recommend provoking said people, but its one less thing to be concerned with.

Now on to the specs..
64 gigs ram
2 TB Sata 3 6 GB/s Soft Raid
Xeon E5-1620v2 3.9 Ghz CPU
300 meg connection to the internet

I think that should cover the basics :)

Some time during the week, after I setup all the services and what not, I'll migrate the website first. Migrations should be less than 15 minutes while dns records are updated. Next as a final move, the game server would be last. It would have to be shut down for about 10 mins to have a current backup to move over to the new server. Once thats completed, there would be messages stating you're playing on the old server, and within 30 mins or so, the DNS record would update and you'd connect to the new server.

I dont expect a whole lot of downtime, very minimal, most people will never even notice anything has even occured. DNS expiry records will be set to 5 mins prior to any changes to limit any problems.

Feel free to speak your mind!

Asddsa76

Retired unknow x-ray hunter
Dec 10, 2012
Will creative be joined with survival, so we can message people across worlds?

Tercept

Administrator
Adman
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
That's going to come in a bungee update. Patience is a virtue.

Also, Fizz, "button warps" did you add what I think you added?
Probably not. We could easily use command blocks for this purpose.

Tercept

Administrator
Adman
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
this is a stupid question, but does the world on the server ever actually end? or does it just go on
We have a plugin that prevents players from crossing a certain border. All MC worlds are infinite unless a mod or plugin creates a wall.

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
What is Dns?
In a nutshell, dns translates a domain name to an IP Address. So when I update DNS, the IP associated with myminecraft.com will change. This is not an instant change as some servers cache that information, plus all records have an expiry time in which it forces them to update.

roewaid

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
Wouldnt it be handy to just make the server borders a bit further away. So we can get to new places and get new stuff. But people wont go to far and if there is a new update with new stuff you can put them a bit further again.

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
well, we want to wait for 1.8 before we expand anything because it adds a lot of new stuff.

roewaid

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
yeah that is what I mean. but if you just expand a little you can expand again later if there is new stuff. if everything is open and people walk really far then you will have to walk even further after a new update.

Swiftflight

Just a Mod
Blue Mod
Donor Level 2
Aug 8, 2013
Kalopsia
In a nutshell, dns translates a domain name to an IP Address. So when I update DNS, the IP associated with myminecraft.com will change. This is not an instant change as some servers cache that information, plus all records have an expiry time in which it forces them to update.
Thank you.

Maxerature

Miner
Aug 21, 2013
Houston, Tx
Now on to the specs..
64 gigs ram
2 TB Sata 3 6 GB/s Soft Raid
Xeon E5-1620v2 3.9 Ghz CPU
300 meg connection to the internet

I think that should cover the basics :)
Yeah... That will cover slightly more than the basics. AMAZING computer to host a server, but not to PLAY the server. HahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA *chokes* HAHAHAHSHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHSHASUDHAJSKDGAJSDGiuh *has Seizure* HAHASHUDFIGSHDUFbsdIOFJNKIJBDFSIUHOP *Dies* ..........

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah... That will cover slightly more than the basics. AMAZING computer to host a server, but not to PLAY the server. HahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA *chokes* HAHAHAHSHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHSHASUDHAJSKDGAJSDGiuh *has Seizure* HAHASHUDFIGSHDUFbsdIOFJNKIJBDFSIUHOP *Dies* ..........
Not sure i understand your laughter? I dont host this at my house, so its not used to play on. It hosts the website, databases, minecraft instances, teamspeak, etc.

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
probably not, it requires a lot more CPU than normal bukkit servers, and I have big plans at this point. Plus, we dont need the extra I/O on the drives, or we will run into performance issues.

NikostratosX

The Ghost Architect
Jan 1, 2014
With this is there any chance of getting a public feed the beast server up and going?
i made a custom modpack for (Edit) 1.6.4 (I thought it was 1.7, I may be able to update to 1.7 though, we'll see), way better than ftb but takes a lot of juice. I ran one for a good month but no one played it so I gave up, perhaps in the near future after my own things get rolling I'll load one up and give fizz the address for bungee to use it and I'll make a small portal in the hub world. Here is the modlist:

Howlz Modpack - Packlist~

ArmorStatusHUD
bspkrsCore
DamageIndicators
AdditionalPipes
Applied Energistics
Ars Magica 2
Atomic Science
BiblioCraft
BiblioWoods[Natura]
Buildcraft-A
Buildcraft-z Additional objects
Carpenters Blocks
CCC
Compact Solars
Computer Craft
EnderStorage
Extra Utilities
Grave Stones
Gravity Gun
IC2 Nuclear Control
ICBM Contraption, Explosion, Sentry
IChunUtil
Immibis-Core
Immibis-Peripherals
Industrial Craft 2
Inventory Tweaks
Ironchest
MFFS
Advanced Solar Panels
GraviSuite
Mystcraft
Natura
NEI Addons
NEI
Obsidiplates
Petbat
PortalGun
Railcraft
Redlogic
Redstone in motion (Provides advanced frames more awesome (way more, but cheap and require no power) than redpower's. I know, there isn't redpower but it's 1.7 so be happy :p)
SoulShards
StevesCarts
TConstruct
TF2 Dispenser, Sentry, Teleporter
Thaumcraft
Thaumic Tinkerer
Translocator
Twilight Forest
Waila
Wireless Redstone

May arrive when updated:

Misc Peripherals
MineFactoryReloaded
Open Peripherals

Couldn't Add but wanted to:

Forestry
Factorization

Please note this pack is at least 3 months old and will probably be updated now that some mods may have been updated/redone. If I get a good amount of positive feedback I'll make a thread and with fizz's support (permission) get that ball rolling. Also note that the pack is and has been hosted on dropbox and may actually have more mods (a couple, from updates) than listed. Will give version numbers and so forth if new thread is made. (Request a thread with a PM so this thread doesn't get derailed.)

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Natester1999