Allowing PVP and stealing to a degree. (Read the post in full first).

adscomics

Miner
Dec 13, 2012
So, as it currently stands on the server, PVP is disabled outside of certain world guard regions, and stealing seems to be against the rules all across the board. While I don't like hardcore PVP faction servers, I think we should maybe revise some of these rules.
For instance, chests can be locked. It's incredibly easy with the plugin the server uses, and you can lock as many chests as you want. If it's so easy to lock chests, shouldn't stealing from unlocked chests be allowed? You weren't responsible with your belongings and if you didn't take the incredibly short amount of time it takes to lock a chest, then I think you should deserve to be stolen from. Otherwise, what's the point of locking chests at all? The same argument could be said about griefing since we have world guard, and the same logic with protected builds and griefing could apply to chest stealing, but the difference is that players only have a limited amount of relatively small regions they can use whereas people can lock as many chests as they want. I really see no reason why stealing from unlocked chests shouldn't be allowed since it was in old MMC late in its life (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong though) along with its successors, ISS and DWAGaming.
Now, in regards to PVP, while I'm not on board with having some hardcore PVP focused server, I think it should be allowed to a degree. I don't have as strong as opinion on this, but maybe we need a sort of consent thing where two players have to agree to PVP each other? We may not even need that. I've played on survival servers with PVP, but it's not anarchy and people are pretty chill with each other (Again, ISS and DWAGaming). If we still wanna keep it disabled outside of certain worldguard regions though, I'll be okay with that.
Personally, if you think its best that we keep the rules the way they are, I won't make a big fuss about it, but I do think that at least allowing stealing from unprotected chests is a way to add another level of fun to the game (I'm a bit of a bandit sometimes), while also encouraging players to use the plugin.

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
On the PVP thing, we had plans at one time to have large open pvp areas in the wild, but those never transpired. Most people on here don't seem to care for nor want PVP which is why its usually turned off except in some regions.

I'm not against the stealing thing, but locks and rules are to prevent me and other mods (just me lately lol) from having to constantly rollback chests and other things. On the other hand, a lot of new players simply don't read the info, signs, tips etc about how to protect their stuff. So while the more seasoned people can figure it out, newbies struggle as new servers can be intimidating with new commands, rules, etc.

adscomics

Miner
Dec 13, 2012
I see....Maybe we should encourage players to read the rules more? A new player is much less likely to look at a wall of text. Maybe I can think of something?

TheWolfsHeart

Server Psychopath
Vet Mod
Donor Level 3
Dec 10, 2012
If you can think of something to encourage people to look at rules, that'll be wonderful You are correct in the sense that locking chests seems a bit pointless with the 'no stealing' rule. HOWEVER, as we know, people don't read. This leads to them doing as they wish [as they often do], and steal regardless.

Some of the rollbacks can have weird errors. I knew at one point [this is fixed now] that rolling back removed enchantments. No way to get 'em back without just blindly believing what was said.